5.19.2012

Basket Weave Wedding Cake

Today's wedding cake was a 3-tiered basket weave wedding cake. The filling was fresh blackberries and raspberries with whipped cream. The frosting was a traditional buttercream icing and the cake was a simple white cake. I stuck around until the end of the wedding to retrieve my cake stand, so I did get to taste a little bit when I cleaned that. I really liked the way it turned out. The cake flavors were the bride's choosing. She chose wonderfully. I might just have to make it again--maybe soon since I bought more berries than I actually needed. I was very pleased with how the basket weave looked. I've made basket weave cakes before, but never in such a grand way. I have to admit that it did get a bit sloppy the later into the night I was up decorating, but buttercream is very forgiving :). The flowers on the cake are peonies. The bride and her mother picked those up in the flower district downtown. And in case you are wondering why there are Russian dolls on the cake table, the bride grew up in Russia. In fact her whole family flew out from Moscow to come to the wedding. I should be getting photos of the cake after it was sliced if you are interested in seeing the inside. It looked very patriotic with the berries and whipped cream.




The first view of the cake as the guests arrived from the ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment